Thursday 8 August 2013

Slowly Changing Dimension Vs Fact

Slowly Changing Dimension Vs Fact

I am rookie to DW. I have a Customer table with basic columns that rarely
change like Name, JoinedOn etc. And another set of Columns that can change
over time like
"Status","CustomerType","PublishStatus","BusinessStatus","CurrentOwner"
etc. At the moment there is no history. In the DW I would like to track
when the following columns change
"Status","CustomerType","PublishStatus","BusinessStatus","CurrentOwner". I
feel it would be better if I create another table to track these, the
table will have the following columns:
"CustomerId",
"Status","CustomerType","PublishStatus","BusinessStatus","CurrentOwner",
"ExpiredOn","IsCurrent"
Is this the right approach? And if yes then is this new table a fact or a
slowly changing dimension? I would like to run queries like when did the
CustomerType change from A to B? When was it Published? When the
BusinessStatus changed who was the owner?

No comments:

Post a Comment